Sunday, May 4, 2014

I've Always Wanted A Pug

          Emperor's best friend.  Thousands of years ago.  Even though pugs' owners have all moved down the social scale quite a bit, they don't whine and still rock on with their little piggy tails, snorting, and obscene amounts of drool.  Like Margo Kaufman said,
"The pug is living proof that God has a sense of humor"
          Why that would attract me, I have no idea, but I absolutely love pugs and have craved one since I was a child.  After some googling I did in preparation for this post, I found a great rescue in my home city, LA, that focuses only on pugs.  I am going to beg my mom to let me foster for them.  And by begging I mean basically offer to sell my soul to the college board if my mom lets me take care of a pug.  

The Holy List of Pugly Facts

1. Pugs are recognized as the oldest breed of dog, possibly dating back to 400 BC.  How regal and majestic.  
2. The Latin phrase "multum in parvo," meaning "a lot of dog in a small space," was often used to describe pugs.
3. A long, long time ago, the Catholic Church banned freemasonry.  A small group of dissenters formed their own group and named it The Order of the Pug, because of pugs' perceived loyalty and trustworthiness.
4. A group of pugs is called a grumble.
5. Adult pugs manage to sleep, on average, for fourteen hours a day.
6. The smushed up faces of pugs classifies these pooches as "brachycephalic": this term means that their head is broad but short.
7. Famous Prince William of Orange was saved from a Spanish attack when his pug's barking woke him up in enough time to flee.
8. Dead royalty that has also owned pugs consisted of Queen Victoria and Empress Josephine Bonaparte.
9. Pugs are horrible swimmers.  They have a huge trouble breathing, and their short legs do not propel their thick tubby bodies very well.
10. Although bad swimmers, pugs can run at about 3-5 mph.  Not exactly cheetas, but pretty good for a peanut with 4 legs.


And Now, Some Photos of Why I Love Pugs:










Mom, if you're reading this, yes, this is my plea for a pug.  Love you!

No comments:

Post a Comment